Guidance & Counseling
The PISD Comprehensive School Counseling Program provides a quality, student-centered counseling program that prepares all students for success in their educational, career, personal, and social growth in collaboration with parents, staff, and the community.
THE PROGRAM DEFINITION
The PISD Comprehensive School Counseling Program is based on the latest edition of The Texas Model for Comprehensive School Counseling Programs to provide student-centered services through the following components:
- Guidance Curriculum to provide developmentally appropriate group lessons for skills for daily living
- Responsive Services to address current concerns
- Individual Planning to guide students with their educational, career, personal, and social development, and
- System Support to coordinate resources with school staff, parents, and community resources.
The PISD professional school counselors provide developmentally appropriate social emotional learning that supports and prepares students for post-secondary goals that may include college, career, and military readiness and advocates for student services.
THE PROGRAM RATIONALE
The PISD Comprehensive School Counseling Program provides a well-rounded counseling curriculum that includes intrapersonal and interpersonal skill building, post-secondary planning and career readiness, and personal health and safety. The PISD professional school counselors provide a safe, non-judgmental environment to help students reach their academic, personal, and social goals.
- Intrapersonal skills teach students to have a better understanding of themselves
- Interpersonal skills teach students how to get along with others.
- Postsecondary planning and career readiness skills teach students how to prepare for life after graduation, and
- Personal health and safety skills teach students how to live a healthy lifestyle.
PISD 2022-2023 CSC Program Goal 1: The PISD professional school counselors will implement Social Emotional Learning in PISD-School Counseling Program through 7 Mindsets by teachers and counselors once a week for 30 minutes, starting in September and ending in May, to complete 30 lessons.
PISD 2022-2023 CSC Program Goal 2: The PISD professional school counselors will develop a comprehensive counseling handbook that aligns with the Texas Model for Comprehensive School Counseling, which will be published by May 2023.
PISD 2022-2023 CSC Program Goal 3: The PISD professional school counselors will promote a culture of post-secondary and career readiness through 3-5 counseling activities that may include students, parents, community, or staff by the end of the 2022-2023 school year.
PISD 2022-2023 CSC Program Goal 4: The PISD professional school counselors will implement a minimum of two small counseling groups per campus each year. Groups will be driven by campus social emotional assessment and student needs. There will be pre-and post- evaluations with groups running six to eight weeks.