Preparing for life beyond high school graduation involves students, parents, staff, and community working together supporting all of our students in successful study of core coursework, identifying fulfilling career pathways, and promoting an appreciation for the arts and healthy lifestyles.
Pleasanton High School is focused on post graduate preparation providing our students a diverse, rigorous, academic foundation that includes an appreciation for innovation, creativity, fine arts, healthy lifestyles and an understanding of 21st century skills.
The following activities support College and Career Readiness at Pleasanton ISD.
- Foundation/ rigorous academic curriculum/focused elective programs of study
- Foundation/ employment skills and requirements through Career Prep training
- Career exploration process/Career planning programs
- Ongoing Individual and group Guidance and Counseling Services including career inventories/assessments, application and resume training/completion of 4-6 year graduation plans
- Senior individual counseling/focus and develop Senior post graduate plans
- PHS College and Career Information Center
- College opportunities through University and community college fair, individual college recruiters, college applications, scholarships, parent information events, financial aid information, FAFSA/pin # training, SAT/ACT prep
- Employment/internship opportunities through Career Fair, Career Prep, Career and Technical Education Programs, employment and military recruiters.
- State-, National-, and Internationally-recognized business or industry certification and licenses offered.
Below are examples of some of the certifications Students at Pleasanton High School get.
College & Career Readiness
College and Career Readiness is the umbrella under which education and workforce policies and programs come together to prepare students for post graduate success. College and Career Readiness Standards were developed and adopted by Texas in 2008 and are part of the blueprint for a re-envisioned federal role in education through the re-authorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA).
College ready means being prepared for any post-secondary education or training experience, including study at two- and four-year institutions leading to a post-secondary credential (i.e. a certificate, license, Associates or Bachelor’s degree). Being ready for college means that a high school graduate has the English and mathematics knowledge and skills necessary to qualify for and succeed in entry-level, credit-bearing college courses without the need for remedial coursework.
Career ready in today’s economy is not just obtaining a job. A career provides a family-sustaining wage and pathways to advancement and requires post-secondary training or education. A job may be obtained with only a high school diploma, but offers no guarantee of advancement or mobility. Being ready for a career means that a high school graduate has the English, and mathematics knowledge and skills needed to qualify for and succeed in the post-secondary job training and/or education necessary for their chosen career (i.e. technical/ vocational program, community college, apprenticeship or significant on-the-job training).
Pleasanton ISD is focused on a unified agenda of college and career readiness for our students by providing high quality, early education and strong, foundational standards at the elementary levels followed by rigorous academic, elective and career and technical education programs, and college completion goals at our secondary levels.
To be college and career ready, our high school graduates will master skills in English and mathematics to qualify for and succeed in post-secondary education and job training necessary for their chosen career or immediate employment. As well, our students will develop an appreciation for innovation, creativity, fine arts, healthy lifestyles, and an understanding of 21st century skills to meet the expectations of the diverse global economy and become productive citizens.
PHS is dedicated to helping our students realize their potential and grasp abounding opportunities as they take on the challenge to prepare for exemplary post graduate lives with full career and college options.