- The School Board comprises seven equal members who serve without pay for staggered four year terms.
- Each member is elected by the members of its single member district.
- The Board must balance the needs of multiple constituencies in making sound decisions for the good of the District.
- The Board is specifically responsible for setting District policy, approving the ongoing expenditures/budget/long range plan, as well as hiring and evaluating the Superintendent.
- The Board delegates executive functions to the Superintendent through written policies and a written contract.
- Board members have the authority to make decisions only as a body of the whole.
- The Board President serves in the role of the spokesperson for the Board to the community and the media.